8.04.2006

Settling in...and thriving





We are settling into our family and our life. It really has been an amazing week here. I had the kids home without Chris for the first time since Zack joined us and it was awsome! I had quite a bit of stuff planned to help ease our transition and had to cancel almost all of it because both kids got sick with colds (snot). I know, you are thinking " how was that awsome?". Well. The answer is that it was pretty much the last thing on earth I wanted to happen this week and, so, of course it did, and we all survived! In fact we did amazing. Zack and I are totaly rockin' the whole bonding thing and Luke is continuing to be a great older brother. All this while the kids were pretty much miserable for most of the week. I "wore" Zack alot in our sling and that worked so well for us (not for my back....but what's more important, right?) We had a couple guests stop by and Zack just snuggled down in that sling whenever he felt nervous. It really is the perfect way to help Zack feel safe and to let other folks know that he isn't ready to be passed around just yet. It fells great to have him snuggled in like that...Luke never wanted much to do with the sling. He was always wanting to get down and explore. It is nice to have a snuggler!!!

We got back into our Friday night pizza routine tonight and Zack had a blast. It was fun to really be back in our routine, but now with 2 kids. Now that I have a little time here and there to sit back I find myself really overcome with love for our new son. I was really in survival mode there in the begining and Zack wasn't ready to start a relationship with me yet. Now that daddy is back at work and we are getting lots of time together with lots of structure and predictability our relationship is thriving! It feels so good.

Zack already knows our bedtime and naptime routines. It is so good for him to know what is coming next so he can feel safe and secure. This has really allowed him to open up. Just tonight Chris and I were sayng how he seems happier every day...He really is a very happy little person.

We went from him being terrified of the cat, the carseat, mommy, shopping carts, carpet and his bedroom three weeks ago to him squealing with excitement when we are in the car, chasing the cat while crawling on the carpet, hugging and kissing mommy, giggling in the shopping cart and falling asleep in his own room, with no tears, all by himself (after lots of hugs and kisses of course!) He is still a bit afraid of grass....but hey, give him another week!

I'l post photos of the sling so you can see what I mean....I just need Chris to take some.

6 comments:

David and Janalee said...

Hey Amanda,
Things sound like they are going great...well, not the cold part(YUCK!), but all the other stuff sounds just wonderful. I am amazed at how well you handled Zack not quite wanting his mommy, you gave me hope that I can handle it if Maya does the same thing. I have missed you on the group, but you are right where you need to be and I will be joining you in just a few weeks...can't wait!
Have a great weekend-
Janalee

Ann said...

AWW sounds like everyone is doing wonderfully. I'm glad that Zack is bonding better now and that Luke is being a great big brother. So good to see these pictures.

Stephanie said...

So glad to hear that everyone is doing so well! You kids are the cutest!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! So glad all is going well for you. Everyday seems to get better, doesn't it?

Jan
(MOm to Ansley)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I love your blog.. great to hear you are ALL bonding-- It was great to see you all the other night. He is a cutie, and so is the Lukester!!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww... Amanda all the photos you have posted are TERRIFIC!

I am so glad to see that Zack has finally settled in and that Luke is enjoying being a big brother. I really like the photos of you guys on the grass. Good stuff.

Sorry to hear about the colds, but take comfort in the fact that every kid within a 30 mile radius had a runny nose last week including my two kids. Someone call the CDC!