3.06.2006

Where's the Mystery...?

One of my big hopes and dreams in life has finally come to fruition. This is a day I have been dreaming of for years...many years. My mecca, ,has finally
opened a store in my area. And, by "my area" I mean like 8 minutes from my house. So, the fam and I ventured into the madness that is an Ikea grand opening, and parused the merch (like we dont have the entire product line committed to memory).

I must say, I am left feeling ...disapointed....uneasy. The mystique is lost. The special occasion-ness of visiting Mecca is gone.

You see, for us, going to Ikea was a fabulous day-trip-of-joy. The nearest location to us up until now was an hour and half away in the San Francisco Bay. So, we would make a sort of event of any visit. It was somthing we wrote on the calander, somthing we planned far in advance.

Somtimes we would get a babysitter, and it would become a date of sorts. We would get margaritas and eat at a yummy mexican place, then shop at Mecca, then head over to "The City" for a stop at our favorite beach, then some city walking and shopping.

But now, it is to close..too convenient...too regular.

Somehow all of the cool, cheap, funky wares had lost a bit of their shine. Everything seemed so ...atainable..like I could just walk past it and come back for it another time. Because I could. The urgency and excitement are no longer there. It is now on par with going to the mall. Nothing mysterious about that.

Hubby and I used to just fantasize about how amazing this time would be for us. How we would be so happy, so fulfilled, so complete.

To much of a good thing?

Maybe I'll pretend It isn't there and we'll drive right past It on our way to a day trip of joy, to a place where everything seems a little bit shinier.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mystery will return. We have an IKEA close to our home and it was something I took for granted until the day I needed a cheap but nice sleeper sofa for my mom in law. I am indebted to IKEA again!

Kristin said...

IKEA scares the hell out of me. Too many words I can't say... too much use of the double "oo"... too much stuff!

If you must go, I say you make the roadtip to S.F.!

Jen R. said...

You must live near me...we used to go to the one in Emeryville, too...